Team Axe, LLC. HomeHome Team Axe, LLC. FacebookFacebook Team Axe, LLC. TwitterTwitter

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Battle (work)stations

I was presently surprised last night when I was able to move both my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to their new homes without any issues at all.

One of the current issues with iPhoto is that it is not designed to be a multi-user application. Hopefully, they correct this eventually, because the feature set for iPhoto trumps any other offering that I have tried. However, they only want you using one at a time. I have been extremely successful with utilizing what is referred to as a referenced library. This is a library where the metadata is stored in the library, but the pictures are stored elsewhere. However, the library is EXTREMELY fragile I have found. It is quite easy to lose thumbnails, picture locations, and the like.

Now, the supported configuration is to run iPhoto from the workstation and bring in the pictures as you import. But, this is impractical for my purposes as my picture library spans a decade so far. My previous implementation was housing the library in a sparsebundle (to fulfill the HFS+journaled requirement) mounted on an AFP share on my FreeBSD box. But, this was inconvenient as you had to mount the sparsebundle to use the library. Additionally, you couldn't spotlight the library reliably, and it was fairly slow over WiFi.

Now, I have moved the library to the Time Capsule and just setup a mount to the Time Capsule share upon login. I was assuming that I'd have to start from scratch in doing this, as the path to the the library changed, but I was surprised when I opened the library from its new location to find that everything was in tact. Excellent.

The iTunes library move went just as easy. I moved it from the AFP share to local, as I really don't have any need to ever access it from another workstation any longer. Everything came over fine, and the iPhone synced without any troubles.

©Adam Axe