Team Axe, LLC. HomeHome Team Axe, LLC. FacebookFacebook Team Axe, LLC. TwitterTwitter

Monday, August 31, 2009

Holding Hands@64 and Kingshighway

Recently, TeamAxe spent some time in the hospital. When I say TeamAxe, I literally mean about 3/4 of TeamAxe resided at the hospital for the better part of a week. While that story does not make for a pleasant blog, it did prompt the following exchange to take place, so I can't say the experience was totally negative.

On the way home to gather supplies, I was greeted by a man collecting donations. Upon reflection, I realize that I am selfishly dismissive in this area and most likely others as well.

However, my dismissiveness led me to a realization care of this collections man. He asked if I had any change. I said that I just got out of the hospital, so I didn't have any. He said that that was too bad and that he would pray for me. I offered more information that I normally would, and told him that it was my daughter that was infirm. His immediate response was to ask my permission to pray for her. This was puzzling to me as he had not asked my permission to pray for me. But, now I see that it was out of respect. Furthermore, he was not saying that he would do so at some future time, he meant to pray right then, at the ramp of Kingshighway and Interstate 64 next to a stranger in a black car. He offered his hand, and I took it without thinking.

It was the first time in my life that I felt a connection with someone proclaiming religiousness. He bent his head and began. He proclaimed to his Father God his desire for my daughter to come through her trails unharmed with expediency, clarity, wit and confidence. He delivered his prayer quickly, and I found it difficult to remember everything he had said, as I don't usually take note of the things people say in prayer. After he was done, he said that she would be okay. What's even more curious as he did this right in time for the light to change. He could've spent this time collecting from the cars behind me, but instead chose to focus on me; someone whom made clear that he had no intention making a donation.

Now, I am still resolute in my belief system, so I can't say that there was a net change in the karma of the universe. However, this person did show me something that I had never seen before. I am ashamed that I did not even make eye contact until after all of this took place.

©Adam Axe